KubeCon Europe 2023 was one of the largest and most influential conferences for cloud native technologies, providing a platform for industry leaders, experts, and enthusiasts to share insights and ideas on the latest advancements in this rapidly evolving field.
As the leading provider of comprehensive policy-based security and automation for deploying, operating, and optimizing Kubernetes applications and clusters across clouds, we were proud to represent Nirmata and participate in KubeCon + CloudNativeCon Europe in Amsterdam this year. The community indeed was in full bloom as it witnessed over 10,000 participants in-person, 5000 attendees virtually, and over 2,000 in the waitlist. The growth of KubeCon was evident with more than 200 sponsors, 1300 maintainers, 800 members and 12.2 million contributors this year.
As we participated in this event, we celebrated another year of key milestones for Kyverno that includes over 3.8k stars on GitHub, over 1.55 billion downloads, and release 1.10 with several new features and additional functionalities. We welcomed Yahoo, T-Systems, DE-CIX, VELUX, Saxo Bank, and RedHat as our latest official adopters. Also, Kyverno project achieved SLSA Level 3 requirements.
Presentations on Kyverno and Kubernetes Policy and Governance
Charles Edouard Brétéché, Staff Engineer at Nirmata, and Jinhong Brejnholt, Chief Cloud Architect at Saxo Bank, gave a presentation on Introduction to Kyverno and Deep Dive to the house full of audience, followed by lots of questions and enquiries about Kyverno, making it evident that Kyverno is slowly becoming de facto engine for policy management. Here is the link to their presentation deck.
And you can watch the session here:
Jim Bugwadia, CEO of Nirmata and a Kyverno maintainer, and Frank Jogeleit, Senior Software Engineer at Lovoo presented on Policy Matters! A Policy working group introduction and deep dive. You can watch the video here:
Jim also delivered presentations on:
- Kubernetes Policy-based data protection with Kasten and Kyverno
- Securing software supply chains with Kyverno
In addition, Kyverno was profiled prominently in several other sessions:
- Improve Vulnerability Management with OCI Artifacts – It Is That Easy! – Itay Shakury, Aqua Security & Toddy Mladenov , Microsoft
- Ephemeral Clusters as a Service with ClusterAPI and GitOps – Alessandro Vozza, Solo.io & Joaquin Rodriguez, Microsoft
There were discussions about network policies, resource quota, why the policies are required, Kubernetes policies, policy WG projects and much more. Audience showed a lot of interest in Kubernetes governance, risk and compliance, and how Kyverno can provide automation and security guardrails.
We also had a great time at the Kyverno booth, meeting with our community and customers, and it was extremely encouraging to see the response from the existing and potential users.
Overall, Nirmata’s participation in KubeCon Europe 2023 was a resounding success, showcasing the company’s commitment to driving innovation and advancing cloud-native technologies. With its comprehensive platform and deep expertise in Kubernetes management, Nirmata is poised to help organizations of all sizes and industries unlock the full potential of cloud-native technologies and drive business growth in the years to come.
So what’s next for you?
You can get involved! There are several options depending on where you or your organization is in their Kubernetes policy and governance journey.
- To start, you can download this free ebook Guide to Kubernetes Policy Management. If policy management is something you or your organization is looking at, read the white paper which offers actionable advice to automate and embed security into the core of your Kubernetes build and deployment processes to secure your Kubernetes-based workloads.
- We also host Nirmata Office Hours for Kyverno, an interactive session and livestream hosted by the team at Nirmata, the creators of Kyverno, where we discuss all things Kubernetes policy and governance! Office hours occur on the second Thursday of every month at 10am EST / 7am PST. Join the Google group to receive a calendar invite with meeting details. Watch the previous sessions.
- Join the conversation on Kyverno Slack. Over 1,400 Kyverno community members join to ask questions and share best practices with over 75% of the channel members participating in the conversation! Or, why not try to complete free Kyverno certification.
- Reach out to us. Any one of the team members are delighted to get on the phone with you to discuss where you are in your Kubernetes policy and governance journey and how Kyverno or Nirmata Policy Manager for Kubernetes (built on Kyverno) can help you meet your security goals.
And, next for us…
- We will be at KubeCon North America in Chicago in November 2023.
- In between, expect DevOpsDays, Kubernetes Community Days, and webinars. Information will be published on our website and social media channels.
- Meanwhile, if you want to learn more on streamlining your operations for Kubernetes clusters, why not request a complimentary demo? Do that here with Nirmata!