Kubernetes has opened new doors for developers in terms of agility, very similar to how virtualization transformed infrastructure management 15 years ago. And that combined with containers that provide common packaging for applications makes Kubernetes a very compelling value proposition for both enterprise developers and infrastructure teams.
Now, in time for Nutanix .NEXT Europe 2019, Nirmata and Nutanix have come together to deliver a truly cloud-native experience for enterprise developers.
Nirmata is the Kubernetes management platform focused on helping operate Kubernetes clusters and workloads across the enterprise, meeting the needs of developers as well as central platform/infrastructure teams. Nirmata and Nutanix have built a technology integration that brings together Nutanix’s HCI solution and Karbon its Kubernetes service along with Nirmata’s Kubernetes multi-cloud workload management, governance, access and policy management solution. The Nutanix – Nirmata integration enables enterprise platform teams to deliver policy compliant and self-service Kubernetes clusters the way developers want them.
Today, there is a wide spectrum of ways in which developers can access Kubernetes resources. At one end, you have developers who want direct access to their cluster and want IT to stay out of their way. At the other end, certain developers may leverage traditional CI/CD tools to deploy and manage the lifecycle of their applications and don’t want to touch Kubernetes clusters at all. There are variations that may require a combination of these approaches or new experiences like serverless on Kubernetes. This variation in developer needs creates a challenge for the platform team when they have to marry the need of different development teams with operational, compliance and reporting requirements for Kubernetes clusters. You can appreciate the challenge simply by looking at requirements that platform operations team need to address –
- Enterprise Policy Compliance – CIS, PCI, HIPAA, additional Enterprise standards.
- Policy management for clusters across different infrastructure types.
- Complete cluster, services and application visibility for incident management.
- Resource and Quota management.
- Logging and monitoring for the clusters across infrastructure type.
- Application backup and disaster recovery (DR).
- Application secrets management for certificates, passwords, etc.
While the developers may own aspects of the above as part of their operational responsibilities, the platform team is responsible for providing the framework under which the development team operates.
This is where Nirmata and Nutanix come together to deliver a complete infrastructure and application management solution for the containerized workloads on Kubernetes. While Nutanix provides automated provisioning of the Kubernetes clusters, Nirmata easily integrates with Nutanix HCI and provides complete visibility, policy management, lifecycle management and integrations needed for the cluster and applications.
Here are some of the key capabilities Nirmata and Nutanix HCI enable for you –
- Automated Cluster provisioning and lifecycle management – Nutanix HCI comes with Karbon, which automates cluster provisioning and cluster lifecycle management.
- Hybrid/Multi-cloud Kubernetes Management -Nirmata provides a single management plane for Kubernetes cluster and workloads on Nutanix HCI and other public and private cloud platforms including AWS, Azure, GCP, and VMWare.
- Virtual Clusters – Platform teams can now get more from their Kubernetes clusters by virtualizing the cluster resources and deliver fully compliant clusters with necessary resource quotas, logging, monitoring, and access control.
- Policy Management – Consistent management of policies for your cluster configuration, application configuration, access, network policy, security policy, resources, across ALL clusters. Recently, Nirmata open-sourced its Kubernetes native policy management engine – Kyverno.
- Full visibility with Integrated logging, monitoring and audit trail – Single pane of glass view for logging, monitoring and audits across the clusters on any infrastructure type. Also, get granular visibility at cluster, namespace and application level.
- Flexible access – Flexible developer access to clusters using their preferred CI/CD and development tools – Kubectl, Kustomize, Jenkins, Bamboo, etc.
- Easy Integrations – A composable API rich platform via Nirmata, that provides easy integration for advanced automation and resource access.
As customers are looking to scale their Kubernetes deployments across the Enterprise, Nutanix and Nirmata bring significant capabilities to help them adopt best-in-class technologies – both open-source and commercial, easily and as needed, in their cloud-native journey.
Got Questions? Please reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Wanna take Nirmata for a spin? Try it for free!