Immutable images are a key benefit of containerizing applications, and a building block for container-native delivery pipelines. An image registry is required to deploy containerized applications. Several options have emerged for an enterprise grade image registry. Users now have a choice to use a public image registry such as Docker Hub or a private image registry such as Docker Trusted Registry or JFrog Artifactory. Additionally public cloud providers such as Amazon Web Service and Google Cloud now offer their own image registry services, which are well integrated with their security roles and privileges.
At Nirmata, we believe in offering our users flexibility when it comes to various components of their toolchain. Our users can already select the most suitable cloud provider for their applications. Now, we are providing the same choice for image registry services! In this post, I will describe how Nirmata provides support for Amazon EC2 Container Registry (ECR):
Here are the steps to use Amazon ECR in Nirmata:
- Setup AWS Cloud Provider or use an existing AWS Cloud Provider. When setting up the cloud provider, ensure that AmazonEC2ContainerRegistryFullAccess is selected.
- On the Image Registries panel, add a new image registry. Specify the registry location (URL) from Amazon ECR registry page and select the cloud provider created in step 1.
- Finish the wizard to access the images stored in Amazon ECR
That’s it! Once you have the registry created, you can use the images from this registry in your application blueprint. You can not only securely deploy your applications on AWS but also other public or private clouds. For more details on the setup, please refer to our documentation.
If you are creating continuous delivery pipelines using Nirmata, you can also promote your images and automatically deploy them to your environments.
We would love to hear more about how you are using Amazon ECR and how we can further simplify deployment and management of your cloud applications.
If you are attending AWS re:Invent 2016, please stop by our booth #133 to see a demo and:
- Learn how Nirmata simplifies management of containers and microservices on AWS and enables DevOps.
- Pick up a Nirmata T-shirt!
- Register for Nirmata and tweet using our handle @NirmataCloud to enter a raffle to win Beats Solo2 Wireless Headphones.
If you are interested in learning more, you can explore Nirmata for free at: https://try.nirmata.io
Containerizing applications? Get our free eBook!